COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics
Preparing for your COVID-19 vaccination
- Confirm your eligibility here
- Please book your dose 1 and dose 2 vaccine online via HOTDOC to prevent our phone lines becoming congested
- New patients please note: We will only be accepting new patients for COVID-19 vaccination by booking online at HOTDOC
- Stay up to date on the government website here
- Check for updates on our website here or on our facebook page
- Ensure your details are up to date – name, DOB, medicare card, contact details
- If you do not have a valid Medicare card, please contact a vaccination hub
- Please be respectful of our staff when calling for information or bookings
- Do not book a COVID-19 vaccination within 7 days of any other vaccination (eg. flu vaccine)
Types of Vaccines
- Nelson Plaza currently provides vaccination with AstraZeneca and Pfizer brand vaccines for COVID-19
- Pfizer brand vaccine is the preferred vaccine for patients aged 12-59 years
- AstraZeneca vaccine is the preferred vaccine for patients aged 60+ years
- Confirm your eligibility here
- 60+ requiring Pfizer brand vaccine. There are very few exceptions permitted by the government. Accepted reasons for Pfizer vaccination in patients 60+ include a history of cerebral venous sinus thrombosis, heparin induced thrombocytopenia, idiopathic splanchnic vein thrombosis, antiphospholipid syndrome with thrombosis and anaphylaxis to AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine or its ingredients. If you have one of these, you can ask your GP to fill out this form and send it to us
AstraZeneca for 18-59 year olds
- Ensure you are well informed.
- Review government advice here. Other resources include government decision making tool,
- Speak to your regular GP about AstraZeneca vaccine, taking into account your individual situation. Ask them to fill out this consent form with you.
- There are rare but serious side effects from the AstraZeneca vaccine. The risk of serious harm goes from 1.1 in 100,000 in your 20’s to 0.4 in 100,000 in your 50’s. You must be aware of these risks before booking.
- You can then book online here.
Forms required to receive a COVID-19 vaccination
- Patient Registration Form – CLICK HERE to download a copy (if not a regular patient of our clinic – this is supplied to you when making your appointment online via HOTDOC)
- COVID-19 Vaccination Consent Form – CLICK HERE to download a copy (Supplied when booking on HOTDOC)
On the day of vaccination
- Do not attend the clinic if you are unwell.
- Where possible, only those receiving the vaccine should attend
- Wear clothing with easy access to your upper arm
- Make sure your paperwork has been completed online
- Bring photo ID
- Do not arrive early
- Expect to wait 15-30 minutes after the vaccine
Where is the vaccination clinic?
- In the arcade leading to Nelson Plaza Clinic on the left-hand side before the lift (29 Stockton Street, Nelson Bay)
- We recommend street parking if possible
After the vaccine
- Side effects are common but mild and short lived.
- See here for more information after Astrazeneca brand vaccine.
- See here for more information after Pfizer brand vaccine.
Who should not have a vaccine at this time?
- Patients under 12 years of age
- Patients who are unwell with a fever >38.5 degrees
- Patients with a history of cerebral venous sinus thrombosis, heparin induced thrombocytopenia, idiopathic splanchnic vein thrombosis or antiphospholipid syndrome with thrombosis should not have AstraZeneca brand vaccine.
- Patients with a recent history of pericarditis, myocarditis, endocarditis, acute rheumatic fever, dilated cardiomyopathy if under 30 years old, complex congenital heart disease, acute heart failure, cardiac transplant need further assessment before Pfizer brand vaccine. These patients must consult their cardiologist about timing of Pfizer vaccination
Who can have the vaccine?
- All patients who meet the government eligibility
- Patients with a history of anaphylaxis – but you will have to wait 30 minutes post vaccination
- Patients who are immunocompromised
- Patients with complex medical issues including cancer
- Patients with a history of deep venous thrombosis, stroke, pulmonary embolus and most common “clots”.
COVID-19 Vaccination FAQ
Am I Eligible?
I need more specific information about COVID-19 vaccination and my personal health
Please book an appointment to speak to your regular GP to get the best advice for your situation